If you’re looking for a new yoga pose to take your yoga practice to a whole new level, then consider the Side Plank Pose (and its variations) your next workout. This pose offers a lot of benefits; it's kid-friendly and recommended by our Instagram yogis. Pro tip: Please avoid this pose if you have an arm, shoulder, or wrist injury. Read on the blog to get to know how to perform this position right and what mental and physical advantages you’ll receive.
Side Plank: step by step instruction:
- Shift your weight into the left hand and come onto the outer edge of the left foot, stacking the right foot on top.
- Keep both feet flexed, taking care to pull the pinky-toe edges of the feet back so that the feet are positioned as if you are standing on the floor.
- Raise the right arm straight up, keeping a wrist-to-wrist alignment.
- Stay in this position for 15 to 30 seconds. Come back to Side Plank Pose, take a few breaths, and repeat to the right side for the same length of time.
Even if you aren’t a huge fan of Side Plank Pose, here are the benefits it gives, so maybe you’ll accept a challenge to practice it next time:
- Core Strength. If you want a strong core and abs of steel, start with Side Plank.
- Strengthens Arms and Wrists. Side Plank requires you to balance on one arm, so this is a great pose for strengthening your shoulders, wrists, and arms.
- Strengthens Legs. Side Plank embraces your full body. You work pretty much every part, and the legs are no exception.
- Improves Balance. You must already know that this pose is all about balance. So you prepare yourself for other balancing poses. Improves Concentration.
Follow the instruction and prepare to get all those benefits. Don’t forget about comfy yoga leggings, so nothing will interrupt the process of making yourself better.