Find full-body joy performing the Downward Facing Dog Pose. It’s named after the way a dog naturally stretches his whole body! It is one of the most recognized positions that will restore your body after a hectic day or just give you a daily dose of yoga. Keep reading the blog to get to know how to practice this animal pose right and get the benefits of practicing it. Our beautiful ‘gram yogis are here to inspire you to be self-starters.
For a chance to be featured, tag us on Instagram @pineappleclothing_com and use our hashtag #happyinpineapple to show us how you perform the Downward Facing Dog Pose in the Pineapple Clothing yoga gear.
Step by step instruction:
- Start with your hands and knees. Make sure your wrists are aligned under your shoulders and your knees are directly under your hips. Spread your palms and make sure your wrists are parallel to the top edge of your yoga mat. Turn your toes under.
- Stretch your elbows and relax your upper back.
- Spread your fingers and press firmly through your palms. Distribute your weight across your hands.
- Lift your knees and elbows one by one off the mat. Bring your body into the shape of an ""A."" Keep your fingers pointed forward.
- Lift your sit bones up toward the ceiling. Now press down equally through your heels and the palms of your hands.
- Draw your chest toward your thighs without collapsing in your arms.
- Rotate your thighs inward as you continue to lift your sit bones high. Sink your heels toward the floor.
- Align your ears with your upper arms. Relax your head, but do not let it dangle.
- Stay in this pose anywhere from 1 to 3 minutes.
- To release the posture exhale and bend your knees to the floor.
- Another thing you can do in this pose is to lift up your legs and bend them in a knee.
If you do this pose correctly, it can benefit your entire body, literally energize it. The Downward Facing Dog Pose relieves headaches, insomnia, back pain, and fatigue; calms the brain and helps relieve stress and mild depression; stretches the shoulders, hamstrings, calves, arches, and hands; strengthens the arms and legs. It has therapeutic benefits for high blood pressure, asthma, flat feet, sciatica, sinusitis.