The new school year has started and you might be feeling a little rusty in the lunchbox prep department. If your child takes a lunchbox to school instead of paying for school lunch, you might be opting for this route because you either want to save some money or you want to ensure your child is eating high quality foods and nutrients. But if your child gets tired of the same old same old and you’re sending them to school with boring, blah food - you can bet they’re either not going to eat enough, trade some of their items with a friend’s possibly less nutritious foods, or find a way to spend cash on snacks. It’s up to you to keep them happy with a tasty lunch they can look forward to! If you’re fresh out of ideas, here are some lunch ideas to keep them loving the lunches you make for them:
Other items to try out:
- Chicken and quinoa pita wraps
- Chicken, rice, sweet or crunchy/salted fried plantains, and beans (black beans or kidney beans)
- Chickpea stew with potatoes, carrots and indian seasonings
- Lasagna (with or without meat)
- Pastas in a tupperware (Ravioli, gnocchi, linguini, etc)
- Bacon, cheddar, tomato puff pinwheels
- Vegetable Frittatas
- Chicken or fish wraps
- Tacos- you may want to wrap the shells separate so they don’t get soggy
- Chicken or turkey
- Croissan-wich with cheese, tomato and lettuce
If you and your family are into ethnic foods and you are in the process of teaching your child to have a worldly palate, you can have them try lunches inspired from different cultures. When they come home,you can ask them what they liked about lunch that day and tell them a little background on each cuisine their lunch was inspired from. It can be easy for kids to keep a narrow outlook on food and stick to what they know, so this is an opportunity to have them try a wide range of flavors.
Always keep in mind, your kid most likely has a sweet tooth. Don’t ignore it, give them a little something to look forward to! A gluten free cookie, some berries or a tropical fruit, a mini muffin, or trail mix are some good options for sweet.